If you had to pick just one leg exercise that you could do forever what would it be?
For me the Walking Dumbbell Lunge would be the top pick because it ticks ✅ so many boxes 📦 :
- It’s unilateral so works each leg independently, balancing you structurally.
- The greater potential for range of movement targets the Glutes, Quads and Hamstrings.
- It can dynamically stretch the hip flexors.
- It’s functional and can be translated over into many real life or performance related scenarios.
- There’s several variations in terms of ROM (Range of Movement) for beginner to advanced.
- The Risk Reward ratio is low, carrying dumbbells rather than a bar on your back which may also be difficult for some people’s mobility.
- Improves stability and mobility due to unilateral loading.
I’m sure many people would argue that Squats are the Top Dog, but what if you have an imbalance? What if one glute is not firing? What if you have knee problems on one leg? Shoulder mobility issues…would a squat give you everything you needed?
Of course it depends ultimately what your goals and abilities are but for the best all round, pound for pound leg exercise, for me the walking Dumbbell Lunge ticks many boxes.
What would be your choice?