I’ve had many conversations this week with my online clients who have ‘fallen off the wagon’ since Christmas and are feeling down because of it, so I thought there could be a few of you out there that would benefit from this wisdom…
The Cycle of Change was a model developed in the 1970’s looking at people’s habits and behaviours as they tried to give up smoking, it does have it’s limitations but is otherwise a really good applicable template to look at the process that we all go through when trying to adopt new behaviours and habits.
I’m here to tell you, RELAPSING IS NORMAL!
Here’s a brief overview of the 6 different stages in the cycle…
- Pre-Contemplation – No intention of changing behaviour.
- Contemplation – Aware of problem but no commitment to action.
- Preparation – Intent on taking action to address the problem.
- Action – Active modification of behaviour.
- Maintenance – Sustained change, new behaviour replaces old.
- Relapse – Fall back into old behavioural patterns.
Watch this video as I expain more about it and how you can use it to give you perspective every time you fall off the wagon, because it will happen, you are human.